- 2+ weeks
- 4 to 5 large beets
- 1/4 cup of sea salt
- Peel the beets
- Chop the beets
- Place the beets into the jar
- Add 1/4 cup of sea salt to the jar
- Fill the jar to the top curve in the jar, about three inches from the very top. The kvass will probably bubble throughout the fermentation process and you do not want it to overflow.
- Swirl the jar a little to mix the salt into the water and help it dissolve.
- Seal the jar with the pressure release clamp, and allow to sit and ferment.
- The kvass can sit and ferment as long as you want. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavors. We have let a jar sit for over a year before opening and it was FANTASTIC. Two weeks is probably the minimum time for fermentation before trying it.